- How new species are discovered
- How species are described
- Issues in systematics
For fun, read http://www.anoleannals.org/2018/10/01/nomenclature-of-dactyloidae-revisit-and-opinions-wanted/.
- Definitions of symbiosis
- Understanding how and why symbioses can change through time
- Making inferences about biology from graphs
- Understand kinds of biological trends
- Describe ways to test these trends
- Why is sex weird?
- Why has it evolved?
- How does sex ratio evolve?
- How does sexual selection evolve?
- Review basics of natural selection
- Think about mutation selection balance
- Consider ongoing selection in humans
Web app for this class: https://brianomeara.shinyapps.io/mutation_selection_shiny/
- Understand a way to examine effect of traits on diversity
- Be able to extend our discussions in class into new areas
- Evidence for differential diversification
- Diversification models
- Patterns of diversification
- Understand about phylogenetic diversity as a conservation metric
- Be able to understand how estimates of conservation risk can take into account relatedness
- Use phylogeny to predict extinction risk
Also, cool breaking news: solid evidence that a member of the Ediacaran biota was an animal: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/361/6408/1198 (Sept 21, 2018)